Thursday, July 7, 2011

MMOs I'm Watching, Testing and Playing (July 7)

Hey peeps.

Sorry for the lack of posts, been working on a few other projects, including the show and podcasting.

I thought I'd make this post about what my current MMO status is.

As far as actively playing, I'm not dedicated full time to anything currently. My World of Warcraft time is probably going to pick up as I work to gear up my main for his healing spec to help out my raid team. As much as I hate to admit it, the recent change to allowing raiding gear to be purchased with justice points in WoW is going to help immensely towards that end. I'm also going to work more on unlocking Firelands content, if only to better mesh the phasing with my raiding buddies.

I haven't picked up Rift in awhile. Probably my biggest issue with it at current is the lack of direction. Which I guess can be a good thing. But the issues with the game's overall accessability has been an issue from day one. It tends to kind of throw many concepts at you before you can digest the last ones it sent your way. As I've said, it's not a bad game, but right now just not up my alley. I'll see if there's been any content additions lately and get back to you.

I also re-activated my City of Heroes account. With the free-to-play announcement, using an f2p system that in my opinion is probably very equal to Lord of the Rings Online's plan, I think it'll really help the game out. This isn't to say that the f2p model should be adopted by everyone. There's room for both subscription and f2p. The thing with subs is that support needs to be active and on a larger scale than f2p games. The graphical style and gameplay is still fun, but I admittedly still feel somewhat underwhelmed by the character creator after using Champions Online's. Although at least with CoH you actually get a decent game with a good CC.

I've also picked up a bit of League of Legends. It's a good diversion and I usually try to do one or two games a day. It's mostly against bots right now because one thing that annoys me are the conniving douchebags that I've heard permeate the PvP aspect. I'll see about doing some games and getting them uploaded to my channel.

As for testing, I tried the beta for World of the Living Dead (http://worldofthelivingdead.com/) and promptly got my ass kicked and all my people killed. This is not an easy game by any stretch of the imagination. If I decide to pick it up again, I'll have to dig around to figure out what the hell I have to do next. It's a browser based game from an indie developer, so I suggest you at least check it out. Just don't expect Left 4 Dead the MMO, you will die.

I also signed up for the Betas of The Secret World (http://www.thesecretworld.com/) and Dragon Soul (http://www.dragonsoulonline.com/us/). The former is kind of a World of Darkness meets Hellgate: London that boasts a lack of classes and levels. Based on the information I've read, that's only partially correct as the inherent "level grind" seems to merely be disguised as a reputation grind. The latter looks to be more like an Asian-style grindfest, but seems interesting enough, why not?

Speaking of Hellgate, I signed up for and got entry into the Open Beta. I've never played the original game, but from what I've played of this it's pretty entertaining if one can get past the multitude of typos and instability of the servers. The combat is action-based and it's always good to see your attacks actually have an impact on your foes.

As for watching, the primary ones are still Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic, although I'm coming to expect far more from Guild Wars 2 than TOR. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about TOR and as of this writing I still have every intention of playing it, but the gameplay still seems to be very much hotkey based. The main saving grace of it will likely be the story and the setting. Which is fine. I go into every MMO with the expectation to at minimum have enough content to last the first month. It's up to the devs as to whether or not the subscription continues.

What appeals to me now about Guild Wars 2 is that while it's still a fantasy MMO, it seems to be attempting to create an actual full world where decisions have consequences and the world changes with your character. I haven't seen too much about the combat as of yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Well, that's it for now. I have a few other post ideas I'm going to try to get to writing.

Until next time, game on and take care peeps,

-N'Eligahn

No comments:

Post a Comment